Meet the team
Portfolio Performance Director
Paul has worked in the insurance industry (Non-Life and Life) for over 17 years in various roles in global insurance companies as well as a Lloyd’s syndicate and most recently at AIG. Paul’s experience has spanned tax, data and financial forecasting, producing statistical information & analytical models, data extraction and analysis, maintaining data quality indices, management reporting and risk & pricing analyst.
Prior to joining a Lloyd’s Managing Agency, Paul focused on all types of insurance portfolios, their historical performance & projections of future trends. He contributed to the development of IT systems (in-house and at third party administrators) to ensure the necessary information was generated and processes met. This also involved assisting in the auditing of existing & prospective TPA’s premium & claims administration systems.
For 5 years at Lloyd’s, Paul was responsible for supporting Senior Management to effectively monitor and manage the Syndicate’s underwriting operations. This included:
- the development & methodology of pricing models, quote rates for prospective clients, developing & enhancing underwriting methodology & data modelling techniques.
- the review of business performance & assessing the underwriting implications of proposed changes
- completion and submission of Syndicate regulatory reporting to Lloyd’s of London e.g. PMD, RDS, Contract Certainty returns
- inputting to the delivery of Syndicate plans and year end reporting, liaising with Finance, Actuarial, Claims and Underwriting departments
- Reviewing and signing off the quarterly reinsurance statements
At AIG, Paul worked closely with underwriting senior management on developing strategies to improve risk segmentation & selection, underwriting profitability and risk adjusted profitability. This included:
- Production of profitability studies on portfolios including trending & analysis of claims for effective decision with MGAs
- Ownership of full data spectrum for Commercial Package & SME products written in UK and Ireland.
- P&L quarterly detailed commentary
- Review Catastrophe Management and modelling
- Implement Portfolio Management Plans for UK/Ireland
- Interact with claims department to understand drivers of loss development and identify potential new loss trends
- Segmentation and analysis of the portfolios to identify key areas for growth, maintaining profitability and producing recommendations for improving unprofitable segments.
More latterly, Paul gained additional responsibilities across Actuarial tasks on AIG’s Commercial Property:
- Profitability studies for European countries split by occupancy
- Production and selection of development factors by European countries in RESQ (used in profit studies)
- Rate monitoring automation onto Rstudio. New process requiring construction of programming script.